We have a lot of folks ask us about the flies we are using while fly fishing the flats in Rockport and the surrounding area. So we have begun to compile a collection of our favorite patterns here, for all to see. While we have only been able to add a select few for now, we will continue to add to this page as we can and keep everyone up to speed with the flies we are using.
JJ’s Tube Top
- Our favorite topwater fly and colorway for redfish and trout.
- The Tube Top is light, easy to cast, yet still makes plenty of noise in the water
The Private Dancer
- The Private Dancer is all about movement in the water.
- A little larger than our other topwater flies, this fly will “dance” back and forth when stripped and still have plenty of wiggle while resting as well.
JJ’s Chug Bug
- The Chug Bug is always solid. Tied more similarly to a standard gurgler type fly.
- We tie these in a variety of sizes and colors. This fly has caught everything from redfish and trout, to jack crevalle and tarpon.
Other Tube Top Colors
- A few of our favorite color ways for this pattern.
- We tie these in small, medium and large sizes for redfish and trout. XL for jacks and kings.
- Easily one of our favorite patterns while fishing over grass and potholes, or to schooling fish.
- We tie The Reducer in a variety of weights, from unweighted to large lead eyes. Great pattern for the Texas flats.
- A good little shrimp pattern for fly fishing for redfish.
- Nice and light, plenty of wiggle and small in size, make this a great option for redfish and sheepshead.
JJ’s Marsh Mop
- A very simple and easy to tie pattern that catches fish.
- Tied with bead chain eyes, so it is lightweight. A variety of colors work well for reds, trout and sheepshead.
JJ’s Polar Shrimp
- A solid shrimp imitation pattern for fly fishing Southwest Texas.
- This fly lands soft, sinks slow and has lots of motion in the water. Excellent pattern for Texas redfish.
- A realistic looking, and swimming, shrimp tube fly.
- We ties The Pronz on both a medium and heavy tube. Excellent Spring time fly for redfishing in Texas.
- Additional color ways for The Pronz.
JJ’s Crabcake Special
- Not only our best crab pattern for the Texas flats, but our best fly year round.
- We tie this fly in a variety of sizes, weights and colors. A must have for Sothwest Texas fly fishing!
- Another great crab pattern for fly fishing the Texas Coast.
- We tie this fly on two different weight tubes for varying water depths.
JJ’s Crabcake Special
- Additional color ways for the Crabcake Special.
- This fly is quickly becoming one of our favorites while fly fishing Rockport, Texas.
- This is a great crab imitation that is very easy to tie and is easy to see in the water.